- I started writing an uber-post about the Sad Puppies controversy, but like most things, others have said what I want to say and said it better.
- Let me say this: I would rather be entertained than be knocked over the head with the message an author wants to convey.
- Also, word-smithing and being clever are secondary to telling an engaging and entertaining story.
- I read what I enjoy, write what I enjoy, and watch what I enjoy. I used to play what I enjoy, but to be honest, I haven’t pulled my bag of dice or the controller to the game system out of the closet in years. Everything that I don’t enjoy gets discarded and forgotten. This is all regardless of the politics and demographics of the creator.
- Example: 2001, A Space Odyssey, is at least 50% literary and cinematic navel gazing. It was good for a single read of the book and a couple viewings. 2010, the sequel, on the other hand, is one of my favorite movies, mainly because it doesn’t descend into an esoteric exploration of the author’s third eye.
- When the tire on a garden cart has a catastrophic failure due to dry rot and over-inflation, it sounds a lot like a shotgun. Also, Girlie Bear can scream as if she were shot when that happens.
- Beaver droppings are full of sawdust. If you think about it, that makes sense. It just never occurred to me before I saw it.
- Irish Woman has started watching a television show about people hunting alligators. It would appear that the .22 Magnum is the caliber of choice for large reptiles, but the .223 Remington and .45 Colt seem to get the job done quite well.
- It’s a lot more fun to acquire, haul, and stack a couple ricks of firewood in April than it is in July.
Posted by daddybear71 on April 6, 2015